I am a lifelong educator and independent multimedia artist primarily working in mosaics, and a certified Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (fHEA), teaching mosaic design and craftsmanship out of my Berkeley studio. I am passionate about involving people of all ages in art, and providing avenues and scaffolding for you to realize your creative inspiration. I have worked with adults and children for 25+ years in a number of artistic and self empowering outlets, spanning gymnastics/acrobatics, mosaics, painting, cooking, woodworking, designing and decorating 3-D fairy houses and garden design, in addition to 15 years in academia as a sociolinguist. And yes, Catboy (pictured, R), does indeed snore.
As a hiker, gardener and birder, I find inspiration from foliage, landscapes and beasties as I encounter them in the wild and urban settings, while my analytic tendencies are nourished by close attention to contrasting shapes and textures within more abstracted patterns, and as a lens for expressing texture, depth and movement. My interpretation of the wildscapes I traverse as a hiker build into completed pieces and iteratively feed into my teaching workshops: I regularly draw on images from natural field guides (John Laws’ Sierra Nevada book is a current favorite), while I also encourage new mosaicists to embrace and consider abstracted re-imaginings of their visions and designs through their glass creations.
Commissions, Original Work & Further Information. I am available for custom commissions! I am happy to discuss your custom ideas and develop a timeline for completion, dimensions, and prices. To get an idea of how my eyes and hands work, and what I produce, check out the following:
- Examples from my portfolio can be seen in the Gallery.
- Pieces for Sale. When the world returns to normal I hope to return to selling my work at CNPS (California Native Plant Society) bi-annual native plant sales, e.g. chapter sales in Sacramento and El Dorado County. Select indoor and outdoor pieces are for sale at The Riveter, a boutique for local art in the Gilman District of Berkeley, and at Oaktown Native Plant Nursery in Berkeley. I also have pieces for sale at Rainbow Glass, in Sacramento.
- Other Visuals. I (sparingly) showcase some pieces (and pictures of the snoring Orange himself) on Instagram under the SnoringOrangeStudio profile
- Teaching. I teach individual and small group mosaic classes from my Berkeley studio. I also teach a range of mosaic classes at Rainbow Glass, in Sacramento.
- Direct Contact. If you feel my artwork would contribute to your art/garden shop, or are interested in a commission and pricing/availability of pieces in the gallery, please contact me. You can also schedule an appointment to visit my Berkeley studio.
- Events & where to find me. As a collaborator in the Makers Workspace (MWS), my studio is open by appointment, and during open houses I hold regular demonstrations of the mosaic design process.