I am a lifelong educator and independent multimedia artist primarily working in mosaics, and a certified Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (fHEA), teaching mosaic design and craftsmanship out of my Berkeley studio. I am passionate about involving people of all ages in art, and providing avenues and scaffolding for you to realize your creative inspiration. I have worked with adults and children for 25+ years in a number of artistic and self empowering outlets, spanning gymnastics/acrobatics, mosaics, painting, cooking, woodworking, designing and decorating 3-D fairy houses and garden design, in addition to 15 years in academia as a sociolinguist. My studio is dedicated to and named after Catboy (pictured, R), who does indeed snore.
As a hiker, gardener and birder, I find inspiration from foliage, landscapes and beasties as I encounter them in the wild and urban settings, while my analytic tendencies are nourished by close attention to contrasting shapes and textures within more abstracted patterns, and as a lens for expressing texture, depth and movement. My interpretation of the wildscapes I traverse as a hiker build into completed pieces and iteratively feed into my teaching workshops: I regularly draw on images from natural field guides (John Laws’ Sierra Nevada book is a current favorite), while I also encourage new mosaicists to embrace and consider abstracted re-imaginings of their visions and designs through their glass creations.
Commissions, Original Work & Further Information. I am available for custom commissions! I am happy to discuss your custom ideas and develop a timeline for completion, dimensions, and prices. I am currently installing (!!) a 60 piece stepping stone pathway for a new co-housing unit outside of Sacramento to connect garden elements and create an inclusive garden space. To get an idea of how my eyes and hands work, and what I produce, check out the following:
- Examples from my portfolio can be seen in the Gallery.
- Pieces for Sale. I would normally be selling my work at CNPS (California Native Plant Society) annual native plant sales, e.g. chapter sales in Sacramento and El Dorado County and other northern California craft fairs, but for 2020 they are all cancelled. In lieu of this I am happy to communicate with you over phone, and show you pieces over facetime or by sending you photos, if you are interested in commissioning a piece or buying one that is currently in stock. Selected pieces are for sale at The Riveter, a boutique for local art in the Gilman District of Berkeley.
- Other Visuals. I (sparingly) showcase some pieces (and pictures of the snoring Orange himself) on Instagram under the SnoringOrangeStudio profile
- Direct Contact. If you feel my artwork would contribute to your art/garden shop, or are interested in a commission and pricing/availability of pieces in the gallery, please contact me. You can also schedule an appointment to visit my Berkeley studio.
- Events & where to find me. As a collaborator in the Makers Workspace (MWS), my studio is open by appointment, and during open houses I hold regular demonstrations of the mosaic design process. I also contribute to the annual MWS/SFEtsy winter pop-up sale at the MWS.