A mosaicist for over 20 years, I work with glass, concrete, repurposed wood, and raw natural materials (pebbles, driftwood), drawing inspiration from the natural world. My mosaics are a form of biomimicry, focusing on native California flora and fauna, intended to brighten interiors and gardens, offer reminders across seasons and landscapes. Building on my experiences traversing the wild and not so wild hills and valleys of California, my landscapes are abstracted and essentialized, focusing on the singularity of each view. My mosaiced birds offer unique personalities—my interpretation of the individuals within each breed that I’ve watched in nature. Some native invertebrate beasties—harder to get a personality handle on, admittedly,—are paired with their respective sustaining habitats. And across all of these, light plays across and through glass, and surfaces. My work includes outdoor-friendly mosaiced wall hangings, individually sculpted and mosaiced 3D-relief wall hangings, outdoor friendly concrete-based stepping stones for pathways and pops of color, and framed suncatchers which shine in windows, but also hold their own as indoor wall hangings. My work is shown, sold and commissioned across California.
Commissions, Original Work & Further Information. I am available for custom commissions!
- Examples from my portfolio can be seen in the Gallery.
- Pieces for Sale.
- Come visit me outdoors! Annually, I am in person at events across northern CA Please let me know if you will be at an event and are looking for something special!
- My Berkeley studio is housed in the Makers Workspace— contact me to make an appointment to visit
- I regularly sell at CNPS (California Native Plant Society) bi-annual native plant sales, e.g. chapter sales in Sacramento and El Dorado County.
- Select indoor and outdoor pieces are for sale at brick and mortar East Bay spots:
- ACCI Gallery, the oldest Art Co-op west of the Mississippi!
- The Riveter, a boutique for local art in the Gilman District of Berkeley,
- Oaktown Native Plant Nursery in Berkeley.
- Other Visuals. I (sparingly) showcase some pieces (and pictures of the snoring Orange himself) on Instagram under the @SnoringOrangeStudio profile, but if i’ve been absent for a while, it’s probably because i’m busy making and selling!
- Join my mailing list to receive semi-regular updates on events I’m in and new work from the studio
- Have an idea? Wanna chat? contact me.